Peking duck is one of the most famous Chinese dishes that have been popularized by the Chinese the world over. The very name of Peking duck is enough to tease your taste buds!
Each nation has adopted a version of this delicious and scrumptious Peking duck in their own way. However, the authentic recipe will require a lot of preparation and some hassles, so you must be prepared for some hard work. But the delicious taste of this roast duck can be quite rewarding in itself.
Preparation Time: 8 to 9 hours
Cooking Time: 1 and a half hour
1 whole duck
5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sherry
Some shredded ginger
Salt to taste
Method of preparation for Peking duck
1. First clean the duck well both inside and out. You need to cut away the wings and remove them before you start drying the duck. You must remove all the visible fat from the meat. Many people blow air in between the skin and flesh to remove any excess fat. However, that may require some expertise and a bicycle pump will help make your job easier.
2. After that you need to tie a string around the neck of the duck to hang it and dry off the excess moisture. The next step is to prepare a glaze for the duck. For this take a large pot and fill it with water. As the water comes to a boil, add the shredded ginger, salt, honey, sherry, rice wine vinegar and the cornstarch.
3. Do not add the cornstarch powder directly into the mixture, first dissolve in a tablespoon of water and only then add it. After the mixture comes to a boil, dip the whole dry duck into the mixture and let it soak in all the flavours and moisture from the water for a few minutes.
4. After it has been soaked for an adequate period of time approximately 15 minutes, lift the duck from the pot and hang it again to dry it. You can place it in front of a fan to help cool it faster as well.
5. After the duck has been cooled for 6 hours, fill a roasting pan with water and place it on the lower rack of the oven. Now brush some sesame oil on the upper rack and place the duck, breast side up on the rack. Remember to preheat the oven at 350 degrees before popping in the duck.
6. Cook it for 30 to 40 minutes on each side till the skin is rich brown and crispy. The lovely golden brown glaze must also be visible on the skin of the duck. Make scallion brushes and use it to garnish the beautiful roasted duck.
7. As an accompanying sauce you can glaze the duck with some hoisin sauce or even with a sweet bean sauce. If you want to have the Peking duck the traditional Chinese way, then you need to buy some delicious readymade Chinese pancakes and moisten them with some hoisin sauce so that it tastes great with your duck.
Enjoy a special occasion like your anniversary or even Thanksgiving by making the ever so popular Peking duck.
Photo Credit: Recipebridge.com/r/peking-recipes-with-cucumber