Butter chicken is undoubtedly one of the most loved Indian recipes of all times. Not only in India but this recipe is equally popular all over the world. It is moderately spiced and contains all the beautiful aspects of Indian cooking as well as delicately spiced to give it a rich aroma and a silky texture.
However, if you thought that making butter chicken at home is nearly impossible you are quite mistaken. With a little bit of effort and some prior shopping for spices you can make succulent and delicious butter chicken. So try this recipe and surprise your guests with this very special dish.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Ingredients Required For Butter Chicken
1 kg boneless chicken pieces
½ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup of cream
1 tablespoon red chili powder
2 green cardamoms (powdered)
½ teaspoon yogurt
3 to 4 bay leaves
A teaspoon of whole black pepper
1 whole onion (thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon biryani powder
1tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
Vegetable oil for frying
1 whole tomato freshly pureed
3 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
Salt as per taste
Method Of Preparation For Butter Chicken
1. First wash clean the chicken pieces and prick them with a fork to make small incisions so that the seasonings are absorbed by the chicken.
2. Take a large bowl and add the yogurt, red chilli powder, salt, ginger and garlic paste, tomato puree and mix well. Now dip the chicken pieces in this mixture and set it aside for at least half an hour. If you have time on your hands then you can keep it for longer. The longer you keep the chicken marinated the more succulent the pieces will be.
3. After half an hour you need to start preparing for the gravy. Take a heavy bottomed pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter into it. If you want you can make the entire dish with butter as well.
4. As the butter heats add the green cardamoms, black pepper and bay leaves to it. When it crackles and starts releasing its aroma add the finely sliced onions into the oil. Fry the onions till it is lightly golden and then add the chicken mixture that you had marinated and kept aside.
5. After adding the chicken pieces, slowly add the cream into the pan and stir well till the cream gives a beautiful silky texture to the dish.
6. Fry the gravy till the oil starts separating. If you look at the sides of the pan closely, you will see the oil floating at the edges. Then you can add a cup of water to let the chicken boil and simmer. Add a lid and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Halfway through the simmering process open the lid and sprinkle some biryani powder over the chicken. If you do not have biryani masala available you can use garam masala as well.
8. When the gravy reaches a thick consistency transfer it into a serving dish and garnish with swirls of cream and nuts. Your delicious and spicy butter chicken is ready to be served with naan or chapatti.
Photo Credit: 99chefs.com