People use the technique of exfoliation to remove dead skin cells from outer surface of skin and hence exposing fresh living cells from underneath. It gives smoother feel and radiant look. It helps to remove discolored skin and toxins.
Exfoliation is an important process to keep skin healthy. It can be done 1-2 times a week on face and 3 times on other body parts.
Various methods to exfoliate skin are:
1. Use Of Sea Salts – Wet your face and apply a tablespoon of sea salt to it. Gently massage your face with your fingers in a circular motion. Do this for 2-3 minutes and then rinse off your face with cold water.
3. Scrubbing – Scrub your face, soak a towel with hot water, and remove the scrub with it. It will make the skin smooth and fresh.
4. Masks- Make masks with vegetable juices or clay. Apply on the face until it dries off and remove them.
Note: These methods are cheaper and can be used on any part of your body, from where you want to remove dead cells.
Now some costlier methods are:
1. You may go to a beauty parlor where professionals will use pumice stones and acetones to remove your dead or old skin.
2. You may use exfoliating products containing beta hydroxyl acids, which are oil soluble, for e.g. salicylic acid, and not alpha hydroxyl acids, which are water soluble, for e.g. citric, glycolic, etc.
3. Products containing enzymes like papain and bromelain catalyses a chemical reaction and dissolves a dead tissue.
4. Retinoid may also be used which remove the top layer of skin and then generate collagen. Collagen is a protein, which provides elasticity in skin and absorbs moisture.