Having beautiful hair comes with responsibilities. You cannot neglect your hair or treat it poorly and expect to have healthy hair. Maintaining your hair takes dedication. Here are some tips on what you should and shouldn’t do, to make sure that your hair remains healthy.
1. Do make sure what ingredients are in your hair care products. Look out for ingredients that may dry out your hair or clog the roots where the hair follicles emerge. Steer clear of products like mineral and lanolin oils, alcohol, perfumes, and other chemicals such as DEA (diethanolamine, and PEG (polyethylene glycol) to name a few.
2. Do gently comb your hair using a wide-toothed comb. A wide-toothed comb will help untangle hair without being harsh and breaking it.
3. Do install a water filter in your shower. A water filter will filter hard water that can cause damage to your hair.
4. Do wrap your hair at night with a scarf or a sleeping cap.
5. Do make sure that the ends of your hair don’t rub against rough material such as a sweater.
6. Do keep a list of the hair products and hair care techniques that work for you.
7. Do drink enough water each day.
8. Do take care not to use excessive heat on your hair. If you use heated styling products such as a flat iron or a blow dryer, make sure that you first protect your hair with a product designed to protect hair from heat.
9. Do make sure that you treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment on a weekly basis. You may need to do it more often if your hair is chemically treated.
10. Do keep your hairbrush, comb and all other styling tools clean.
11. Do moisturize your scalp on a daily basis. One suggestion is to use extra virgin olive oil.
12. Do comb and style your hair in sections. This will prevent tangling and breakage.
13. Do give your scalp a nightly massage.
1. Don’t be hard on your hair. Be patient with its progress.
2. Don’t attack your hair when you are stressed out.
3. Don’t use heated hair styling products every time you style your hair. Excessive heat can cause the hair to dry out and break.
4. Don’t wear a ponytail for many consecutive days. You will need to change the style occasionally to give your hair a break.
5. Don’t use ponytail holders with metal. When you take the rubber band out of your hair do it gently so that you do not pull any hair out.
6. Don’t be afraid to tell your stylist if you do not like what they are doing to your hair.
7. Don’t process your hair too much.
8. Don’t avoid caring for your hair.
9. Don’t fret if you don’t have the hair texture that you want. Learn to work with the hair that you have.
10. Don’t think that expensive hair products are better than less expensive ones. This is not always the case.
Your hair is your responsibility. Don’t let someone else care for your hair. Give these easy tips a try and watch your hair become beautiful and healthy again.