White skin is preferred everywhere, especially so in the Eastern part of the world, where the hot sun ensures no one escapes getting tanned. Perhaps, the reason why the women in the East prefer white skin is because blemishes are not so evident and flawed features don’t stand out as they do for those with dark skin tones.
Popular amongst Asian people, skin lightening products have become a multi-million dollar industry, with big brands such as Olay and L’oreal competing with fly-by-night operators packaging their products in home ‘factories’. Literally hundreds of whitening products flood Asian markets, where regulation is either very lax or non-existent.
These cheap skin lightening products may produce fast results, yet the consumer often ends up paying a much higher price later. These skin lightening products can cause permanent skin damage, or worse, organ damage and skin cancer, since most of them use dangerous chemicals like hydroquinone and mercury as active ingredients in their skin whitening creams.
Therefore, if you wish to get rid of a skin tan and lighten your skin colour, why not use safer methods of which there are many, such as natural remedies that effectively lighten tans and prevent the skin from darkening.
The following home remedies for skin whitening, not only lighten the skin tone but promise a lighter complexion. However, best results are only achieved if they are inculcated as a part of daily routine.
Photo Credit: Blog.yaaree.com
Best Home Remedies for Skin Whitening
1. Bring a shine to your face and remove your tan with a mix of one teaspoon each of milk powder, honey, lemon juice, and half a teaspoon of almond oil. Apply on face and wash off after 10-15 minutes.
2. Oatmeal mixed with yoghurt, tomato juice and applied to the face and kept on for 20 minutes, then rinsed off with cold water, helps to lighten the skin by getting rid of the tan.
3. Slices of raw potato placed on the face helps reduce blemishes and other marks.
4. Lime juice being a natural bleach when mixed with turmeric powder and applied to the face is helpful in lightening your skin tone.
5. A paste made of crushed, dried orange peels and yoghurt washed off with cold water after 15-minutes, reduces skin blemishes and scars, thereby making the skin look fairer and lovelier.
6. One tablespoon gram flour mixed with two teaspoons raw milk and 2-3 drops of lime juice left on the face for 15-minutes before being rinsed off, works extremely well for lightening dark skin.