Applying masks is one of the most ancient forms of beauty treatment the world over. In times gone by, women from the aristocracy used to apply many exotic substances to their face in order to keep their skin smooth, silky and beautiful and as protection against aging and the elements of nature.For simple, hydrating masks, you don’t have to go further than your own kitchen or garden. The best mask for an oily or acne prone skin is one made from mud or with a clay base, as these mud masks are great for balancing out the skin. Hydrating masks made from glycerine, rose water, honey and oils benefit dry skin greatly. Sooth your skin with Ginseng or green tea masks.
Face masks are good for a vast variety of reasons. They help tighten skin pores, remove excess oil from the skin, moisturize and replenish dry skin. When using face masks, leave them on for 15-20 minutes then wash off with warm water, followed by a cold rinse. Dry face and apply a thin layer of moisturizer. Arranged by skin type, the following recipes telling you how to make masks should prove to be useful.
Natural face masks are more popular than commercial toxic ones as they nourish, cleanse, heal, and protect their skin with unadulterated, homemade remedies. The following recipes tell you how to make face masks with simple ingredients found easily at home in the kitchen.
1. Cultured Milk Mask is an effective cure for tired skin. Just slather on natural yoghurt, buttermilk or sour cream to the face, avoiding the area around the eyes. Put up your feet and relax for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cool water. This mask is useful for softening, rejuvenating, and restoring a natural pH balance to your skin, which helps protect it from the negative influences of cold winter air.
2. Egg White Mask helps remove excess skin oil and tighten large pores. Separate the egg yolk from the egg white, beat the egg white into a froth and apply to the face for half and hour. Rinse off with warm water followed by cold. This will help tighten and clean oily skin making it feel refreshed and healthy.
3. The best mask for dry skin is an Avocado Mask. Mash the flesh of an avocado, add two tablespoons of honey, one egg yolk, a drop or two of extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Apply this fragrant mix to your face for 15 – 20 minutes. This will nourish your skin and infuse it with a whole range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and softening agents that fight winter dryness.
4. An Oatmeal Mask is the greatest remedy for wind-beaten skin. You can make this mask by mixing together equal proportions of raw oatmeal flakes, egg yolk, and honey. Leave mask on your face for 20 minutes, wash with lukewarm water, and then pat dry. This will heal your skin, softening it and refreshing it.
5. A Banana Mask is best for combination skin. Mashed banana mixed with fresh sweet cream applied to the face for 30-minutes not only smoothes, softens, moisturizes and nourishes the skin, you forget its cold, harsh, and nasty out there!