A nutritious diet is actually equivalent to a balanced diet. A balanced nutritional diet is a diet that provides all the nutrition that the human body needs for proper body functioning, to improve immunity and for normal well being of body and mind.
A balanced diet includes foods from all food groups so that body gets equal amount of vitamins, minerals, fat, protein and carbohydrates. Balanced refers to the fact that the diet should not contain excess of one or two nutrients.
How to Improve Health With A Balanced Nutritional Diet
Add Variety to Your Diet
For a balanced diet, one must eat a variety of foods with different colour texture and nutrients. You must have heard about food pyramid which shows different types of food groups that we need to include in our diet. It is impossible to get all the vital ingredients from one or two groups.
Normally, we consume too much of protein, carbohydrates and fats and very less of vitamins and minerals. This leads to diet related health conditions like obesity, diabetes, heart ailments, anemia, or vitamin deficiency. The five major food groups that we must include in our diet are:
• Cereals and Pulses
• Poultry, Fish and Meat products
A nutritional, balanced diet that includes food from all these five groups will provide vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Other than including food from all five groups, we must consume a variety of food from each group for complete nutrition and to add variety to what we eat.
Eat Right and In Right Amount
A balanced nutritional diet can prevent health problems and increase metabolism, fitness and energy. Eating one type of food for a long run may increase toxins in the body.
Photo Credit: Pagesbeauty.info/olivkovoe-maslo-v-dietah.html
A balanced diet can maintain your Body Mass Index (BMI) and fight obesity and other serious diseases like cancer, heart ailments, diabetes, osteoporosis and stroke. Along with learning what to eat, you must know how much to eat. Your meal size depends upon a number of factors like age, physical activity, blood sugar level etc. Eating healthy food in large size does not help.
Tips for Maintaining A Balanced Diet to Improve Health
There are a few things you can do to maintain a balanced diet:
• Replace white bread with brown, eggs with egg whites and refined food with high fiber food.
• Follow a diet low in trans-fats and saturated fat, red meat, refine sugar and flour and alcohol.
• Eat 2 cups of fruit and 3 cups of vegetables daily. Fruits and vegetables are low in calorie and high in nutrients being a rich source for vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like Beta carotene. Regular consumption can be very helpful to prevent diseases like cancer, heart attack and diabetes and anemia. Other than that they keep our skin, hair and digestive system healthy.
• Balance diet with regular exercise.
• Consume whole-grain products daily.
• Consume around 500 grams of low-fat milk or milk products.
• Include “good” fats such as fish, nuts, lean meats, poultry and dry beans.
We can improve our overall health in many ways with a balanced nutritional diet. Eating the right food and the right amount will keep you healthy in the long run. Everything including fats and oils should also be consumed, but not in excess.
A balanced diet will also improve sleep patterns. We should try to adhere to the food pyramid according to which whole grains, fruits and vegetables are at the lower level (eat most) and fat and oils are at the top (eat least).
Photo Credit: Balance.dietxnutrition.com/balanced-diet-for-maintain-balanced-weight/