Split ends of the hair is a problem faced by most women. Split ends happen when the protective cuticle has been stripped away from the ends of hair. Hair splits into two or three strands forming a Y-shape. These split ends can travel up the hair. They may be 2-3 cm long and can occur in both long as well as short hair. These split ends cannot be repaired. There are many causes for split ends. They may be due to excessive hair colouring, vigorous brushing, not trimming your hair regularly and sleeping with your hair in a ponytail, too much sun or poor health.
The best treatment is to cut off the split end. Get a trim every six weeks. Regular trims will keep the ends neat and help prevent them from splitting further.
There are some home remedies for split ends.
1. Rub olive oil into the ends of hair 2-3 times per week. Leave the oil overnight and wash out in the morning.
2. Use mashed up avocado on your damp hair and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Mix 1 teaspoon each of mustard oil, castor oil and olive oil. Massage the scalp for 30 minutes and apply it to the full length of your hair. Cover the head with a hot towel later.
4. Mix 1 tablespoon of almond oil with 1 egg yolk and apply it to your hair and scalp. Wash it after 30 minutes.
You should take following precautions to prevent the .
1. Don’t use hair dryers, curling irons, or hair straightening devices if you’re serious about getting rid of split ends.
2. To get rid of split ends, use plenty of conditioner during and after a shower.
3. To reduce tangles and get rid of split ends, brush your hair before you take a shower.
4. After a hair wash, combing wet hair is not recommended as it leads to breakage of hair, giving space for spilt-ends. Always use a wide toothcomb.
5. To keep your hairs strong apply leave-in conditioner to the ends of your hair.
6. As you spot a split end, get a cut at least 1 inch above the spilt. Remove the split end as you spot it. The longer the split end remains there are the chances the split end may split the hair till the scalp.
7. Get a trim when you find lot of split ends.
8. Use hairbrushes with soft, smooth, flexible, wide-spaced teeth to avoid breaking of hair that leads to growth of split ends.
9. Use shampoos with sunscreen as their ingredients.
10. Sleep with silk or satin pillowcases, as the smooth surface would minimize tangling of hair, which can lead to spilt ends.
11. Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun and wind and wear a hat to minimize sun damage.
12. You can prevent split ends by keeping your hair hydrated and healthy.