Effects of Body Piercings


One of the most popular things that we like to do to our bodies is piercing. For centuries it has represented many different things for different cultures and religions. A piercing can be done for symbolic reasons, sexual pleasure and even just for plain old decoration.

What many people do not realize is that if they don’t take proper care of their body piercings, they can end up with more than they bargained for. One of the biggest problems that may arise is infection. This happens when the site of the piercing is not cleaned the right way and taken care of. Other issues that may come up are allergies, nerve damage, keloids and cross-contamination, just to name a few.

One of the most common is Staphylococcus aureus, which is a bacterial infection. This causes the piercing site to become swollen with pus and redness which is very painful. Many of the places we like to get pierced are the eyebrows, navel, tongue, cheeks, nose and even our sexual organs. The most popular are the ears and the nose.

Something that you need to be aware of when you get a piercing is if you are sensitive to any type of metal. The wrong type can cause you to have an allergic reaction and develop an infection. Surgical steel posts should be used if you think that you may be allergic to anything. It is also important to make sure that you take the proper care for the type of piercing that you get.

If you are to get your nose pierced, it will take approx 2 to 3 months for it to completely heal. Your ears will take 3 to 4 months. Follow the directions to the T for taking care after the piercing. This will help you to avoid any infection at the site.

You should have the piercing done by a professional that knows what they are doing. It is unsafe to hold an ice cube to your ear to numb it and then stick a needle through it. Many people have tried this only to end up bleeding badly and getting a severe infection.