Anemia is caused due to the deficiency of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is found inside red blood cells (RBCs). Hemoglobin is essentially a protein that transports oxygen from the lungs to the tissue and organs of the body. Lack of hemoglobin leads to lesser amounts of oxygen delivered to tissues. Therefore your red blood cells function below capacity.
There are different types of anemia. The anemia due to lack of iron in the body is called iron-deficiency anemia. Since this occurs due to lack of iron in the body eating iron-rich food is of utmost importance.
Another type of anemia is the Folic-acid deficiency anemia, which is caused due to the lack of folic acid in the body. Folic acid is also known as Folacin or Vitamin B9). Folic acid is essential for growth of cells. It also assists in reproduction.
The third type of anemia is called pernicious anemia, which is caused due to vitamin B12 deficiency.
Other less-common types include sickle-cell anemia and thalassemia. Sickle-cell anemia is most prevalent in Sub-Saharan African people. This anemia is genetic, and is transmitted from generation to generation.
Anemia is also caused due to
– Blood loss during menstruation
– Internal hemorrhage
Some of the common symptoms are:
– Loss of energy and enthusiasm
– Easily exhausted
– Shortness of breath
– Paleness of skin
– Rapid heart beat even after doing very light exercise
– Ringing sensation in the ear
– Highly irritable behavior
– Come out with a diet plan that includes iron-rich food. Take adequate amounts of vitamin B9 as well. Sometimes the doctor may prescribe vitamin supplements or injections. Take them without fail. The foods that have to be taken for recovering from anemia are beef liver, chicken liver, oysters, broccoli, tomato, spinach, soy beans, dry cereals, prune juice etc
– Avoid drinking coffee or tea. Do not take diary products. Stay away from chocolate. All these foods may disallow efficient absorption of iron by the body.
– If the anemia is due to blood loss, then the doctor will stem this with anti-blood loss medications. He may also initiate blood transfusions to replace lost blood.
– For extreme cases, as in anemia due to leukemia, a bone marrow transplant may be effected.