Mosquito bites pose the threat of transmitting blood-borne diseases to human beings.
They are responsible for many of the deadly diseases like Malaria, encephalitis, yellow fever, dengue, chikungunya and many other diseases.
Special care has to be taken to protect infants from mosquito bites. In certain areas mosquito menace is greater, chiefly because of the weather. Mosquitoes thrive in hot and humid conditions. Care has to be taken also when going on excursion to places known for having mosquitoes in large numbers. There are some tips to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
1) Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Do not let water stagnate anywhere near you house.
2) When you are outdoors wear full-sleeved light clothing, including a hat. Avoid dark or bright colors.
3) Mosquitoes are drawn to body odor. Avoid strong perfumes, scented soaps, aftershave etc.
4) Burn citronella candles outdoors when playing with children. You can also use citronella lotions and citronella torches. Citronella torches can be set up on the table or outside your home.
5) Avoid vacationing in swampy regions especially in the summer. Even if you must, then you could try a garlic powder paste. Apply it to exposed areas, like legs, ankles, neck etc. Avoid applying near the eyes, mouth or groin.
6) Use an insect repellent like DEET (N, N-diethyl meta-toluamide) on your exposed areas. DEET should be used sparingly on children. Avoid applying DEET on palms, as the substance might get into your mouth.
7) Rub vanilla extract on your exposed areas.
8) There are some plants that repel mosquitoes. They are namely Lavender, Basil, Catnip, Marigolds, Citronella etc. Take these leaves and crush them. Rub them all over your body. You can also plant pots of these plants all over your garden or patio. Even better, you can dissolve the leaves in water, and use it as a spray.
9) Some people have a tendency to get bitten by mosquitoes more than others. This boils down to the body odor of a person. You can alter your mosquito-attracting body odor by taking vitamin B1 supplements. This vitamin makes the body produce an odor that repels mosquitoes.
10) Cover your bed / sleeping areas with nets at night to prevent mosquitoes from getting to you.