Lagori is a team sport played in India. It is played with fervor and a lot of excitement by the youth. It is a simple game that gives maximum excitement. It’s almost akin to avoiding bullets in a firing range, where one twists and turns to avoid the hit.
This game is generally played in a huge ground, that has the capacity to take a lot running and also noise. Lagori is a noisy sport, in the sense that the players make a lot of noise by calling out or shouting-out instructions to their teammates. It’s noisier than a group of clucking hens in a cage!
How to get started?
1) You will need a pile of stones. The stones have to be in a dimension to so as to enable it to stay in a vertical pile. The pile length can be 5 stones high or 15 stones high. Randomly chosen stones give maximum fun value, as they vary in their shape and size, and re-piling them will make for comic value.
2) You need a ball. The ball is used to hit other members, so a soft ball should be used. For more stinging thrills, you could use a harder ball.
3) You need a team. The more team members, the better.
4) You need a ground to play on. Don’t play in a ground with obstructions like trees or poles.
1) A toss decides which team strikes the stone-pile first.
2) A player of team A dislodges the stone-pile with the ball. As soon as this is done, team A’s players try and reassemble the pile back.
3) Team B tries to stop it, by hitting team A’s players with the ball. This will render them out.
4) Team B, trying to get them all out, will target at likewise all the players of team A.
5) The aim of team B would be to disallow team A to rearrange the stone-pile.
6) After team A’s turn, team B will play
Lagori is best explained when played. So logon to lagori fast!