Do you have a big dinner coming up where you want to impress all your guests? Well, sweet potato pie could just be the ideal dessert to add that extra touch of spark to your holiday meal.
One of the most delectable, popular, and easy to make pies, sweet potato pie looks similar to pumpkin pie, though it’s not as sweet as the latter. This article describes a simple and easy recipe to make delicious sweet potato pie at home.
The ingredients that you’ll need to make homemade sweet potato pie include 1 pie crust, 4 small sweet potatoes, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. As for the pie crust, you can buy a ready-to-use pie crust from the local market, or make the pie crust yourself at home to add that personal touch.
Follow these steps to make the pie:
1. Once the pie crust is ready, start making the filling by boiling the sweet potatoes in water for about 40 minutes or until they become tender. Run cold water briefly over the potatoes to cool them.
2. Peel the skins off the sweet potatoes and take them in a mixing bowl. Mash the boiled potatoes using a potato masher, spatula or fork.
3. Add melted butter to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
4. Now stir in the sugar, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and eggs into the mixture.
5. Whisk the sweet potato mixture with an electric mixer (preferably) or hand mixer until the mixture become smooth and fluffy.
6. In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Fill the pie crust evenly with the sweet potato filling.
8. Bake the pie on the middle rack of your oven for about an hour.
9. Remove the homemade sweet potato pie from the oven, allow it to cool, and serve. You can add whipped cream topping or any other topping of your choice on the pie.