The Internet is an indispensable part of our lives. We live in the information age, and the Internet is the chief proponent of a global culture that thrives on information dispensation and sharing. Internet connections are being added even in the remotest parts of the world. There are a lot of benefits that can be got from an Internet connection.
You can open up a whole new world of increased awareness and continuous learning for your family members. Nowadays nobody asks another for information. They just access the Internet. Getting an Internet connection is easy. Here’s how.
Choosing an Internet service provider
Before starting off, choose a good Internet service provider (ISP). You can look up for ISPs at the Internet Service Provider Association (ISPA) website. If you have any friends or relatives who are using Internet, then you could ask them to recommend to you a good ISP. The ISP provides you an Internet connection through a router that lets you access a local area network. This means you can have multiple computers in your home or office with Internet facility.
Types of ISP access
This is generally for dial-up connections (telephone lines). Here you pay for usage on a per minute basis. The rates are your local telephone call rates, and your billing will come along with your telephone bill.
You can subscribe to the ISP for a fixed fee. Here you don’t have to worry about metered access and telephone bills.
This is a separate line dedicated solely for Internet usage and does not use telephone lines.
1) You will need a computer with an in-built modem or you must buy a modem for your computer. Most ISPs provide you with a modem. Modern computers come equipped with in-built modems. There are three kinds of modems available: internal, PCMCIA card or external serial port modems.
2) Some ISPs require specific browsers to be installed, so check if you have the right software that match the ISPs services. Your ISP vendor will help you choose a modem, depending on your browsing needs (if your computer does not have a modem).
3) Connect your modem to the phone jack or broadband jack.
4) Look on your computers desktop screen for an icon that has the name of the Internet service provider. Double-click on the icon, and follow the instructions to install the software and activate your account. You can also got to Start – Settings – Control Panel – Internet options icon – Connection tab – Setup button to activate your account.
5) If your computer does not have Internet software, then ask your ISP to provide you with a copy of the software. Once you receive it on a CD, install the software on your computer and follow the instructions to complete your Internet access process.