A web browser is a software application that lets users access websites on the World Wide Web or a local area network. The browser enables the user to view text, images and interact with multimedia content on websites or web pages. Some of the current browsers for personal computers are Internet Explorer, AOL Explorer, Lynx, Konqueror, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, Avant Browser, Google Chrome, Maxthon, Epiphany, K-Meleon, Arachne, Flock and many more.
The conception of the web browser can be traced back to the early ninety nineties, when Tim Berners-Lee invented it. Initially it was called World Wide Web but later changed to Nexus to avoid confusion. Some of the common features that come with web browsers are spell check programs, toolbars, bookmarks etc.
Before choosing to download a web browser, you would want to analyze your browsing needs. Is your computer old or new? Do you want to download a browser on your mobile or PDA? Understand your system specifications and keep them ready. Some platforms work best with a particular browser, some may not. Some browsers may not work on certain operating systems.
1) Know which platform you are operating on. Is it Windows? OS X? Linux?
2) You can download a lot of browsers and operate them. But you can’t make a web page open up in another browser when you close the browser on which it was initially opened on.
3) Internet explorer is widely used. It gives good download speeds, but is also susceptible to hang-ups.
4) If you want tabbed browsers, then you can choose from Safari, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Seamonkey, Off By One and Flock.
5) For better security choose Firefox or Opera over Internet Explorer, since the formers come with improved security.
6) Text-only browsers expedite data transmission rates. You can consider ELinks.
7) Browsers like Skipstone, Off by One, Netsurf or Dillo, utilize very low system memory. You can consider these browsers if you have low system memory.
8) Browsers like Firefox have the capability to accommodate lot of plug-ins. Common Firefox plugins are Adobe Reader, Quick Time, Shock wave etc.