Drug rehabilitation is the use of medical surveillance and behavioral therapy to stop the dependency on drugs. The common drugs that are used as substance abuse are cocaine and heroin.
The rehabilitation center is a specialized place to treat drug addicts. It has a host of treatment features ranging from psychotherapy, counseling, and medication to relieve the patient of drug addiction.
Rehab centers can be inpatient or outpatient in hospitals. There are also specialized care centers that provide only rehabilitation services. It is important to do some research before choosing best rehab center. Here’s how.
– Initially determine if the patient requires rehab in the first place. Sometimes it can turn out to be mild addiction triggered by some psychological reasons. If it so, then avoid checking the patient into rehabilitation. If the patient has crossed the limits with substance abuse, and cannot seem to stop it, then rehabilitation is necessary.
– You have to do an inpatient treatment for patients who have poly-addiction, or in other words addicted to more than one substance.
– Find out if the inpatient center also handles rehab of patients who have a tendency to be violent. Violent patients have severe withdrawal symptoms. If it is withdrawal from alcohol, the symptoms can be life threatening.
– A rehab center should have a social education initiative. Usage of medication should be the last resort. Social education is a kind of deep-cleansing system that attends to the root of the problem, which is apparently the patient’s mind and habits.
– The rehab center should have multiple capability in handling drug addictions of any kind. Different drugs give different addiction characteristics.
– Drug addiction is not an infection. It is nether a disease. Rather it is an affliction caused due to acquired unregenerate behavior. The absolute aim of the rehab center should be to develop a drug-addict to a healthy individual capable of setting long-term abstinence goals.