Curd Rice is a simple South Indian recipe. Curd rice is easy to quick. Curd rice is ideal to cool your stomach and is an ideal dish in hot season. Curd rice is known as Thair Sadam in Tamil Nadu and Dahi Chawal in Hindi region.
Active cooking time: 20 minute
Total Cooking time: 30 minute
Serving Size: 4-5 persons
Basmati rice-2 cup
Mustard seed-2 small spoon
Boiled Milk- ½ cup
Butter- 1 small spoon
Salt- As per your choice
Sour-less plain yogurt (curd)-2 table spoon
Vegetable Oil-2 small spoon
Dry Red chili-2 number
Curry leaves-1 small handful
Asafoetida in powder form – a pinch
Water -3 cup for basmati rice
Coriander leaves-small handful
Cashew nut-small handful
Ghee-2 table spoon
- Take a pan and add ghee. Heat the pan. Add cashew nut and peanut to ghee and roast it. Then it should be removed and kept aside.
- Wash the basmati rice and cook it in a pressure cooker. Add three cup of water to 2 cup of basmati rice. Add necessary salt to the pressure cooker. Make the rice half boiled. Turn off pressure cooker before whistle. The flame should be in simmer. Open pressure cooker when all vapors have gone. Add butter, milk, curd, sugar to rice and mix it gently. Then keep the rice aside. Make sure that the curd you add is fresh. You can add some cream to the curd if you want to make your curd rich.
- Take oil in a pan and heat it. Add mustard seed to the oil and wait for spluttering. Make the flame simmer. Then add dry red chili broken into half. Add curry leaves and Asafoetida in powder form to the pan. Stir gently and turn off flame.
- Add the rice that has been kept aside to pan. Stir gently the rice. Then garnish the rice with coriander leaves. Garnish the curd rice with cashew nut and peanut that has been kept aside earlier.
- Serve the curd rice with lime pickle or mango pickle. Curd rice should be eaten immediately as it can get sour later. You can add cucumber or chopped onion or pomegranate seed to curd rice so that it will not become thick.