More than a million people are affected with pubic lice each year. Pubic lice are also known as Crab lice because of their resemblance to crabs. As the name suggest, pubic lice infest the pubic hair. The primary method of crab infection is through sexual contact. However, crabs can go on for 24 hours without feeding. They are found on clothes, towels, bed linen, swimsuits and even on toilet seats.
Being infected with lice in the pubic hair causes intense itching in the genital area. The life cycle of a pubic louse is 40 days and the lice can easily survive that long in the genital hair. They can be easily detected by naked eye. They are very small in size like a dot and are light gray in color. They lay eggs that are oval in shape and are easily spotted as the eggs are situated near to the area of the origin of the hair. Very rarely do crabs occur on eyebrows and eyelashes.
6 Home Remedies For Pubic Lice
Pubic lice or crabs are easily treatable like body lice and hair lice. There are many over-the-counter products available to kill the lice and destroy the eggs. However, it’s always a good idea to first try out the natural remedies for getting rid of lice. These remedies can be easily done at home, are very effective and have no side effects. Many of these treatments are easily available at your home.
1. Treatment Of Pubic Lice With Petroleum jelly
Petroleum jelly or Vaseline is an effective treatment for pubic lice. Normally petroleum jelly is used to take care of cracked and bleeding lips during winter. Trim the pubic hair and apply a generous amount of petroleum jelly on the hair taking care to cover the base of the hair well. The nits or eggs of the lice are usually located at the base of the hair and to get rid of the lice it is important to destroy the eggs as well. Perform the treatment twice a day for 10 days. Leave the Vaseline on the hair. Don’t wash it off.
2. Treatment Of Pubic Lice With Soap
Don’t use cosmetic soap for this treatment. instead buy a medicated soap from any drug store. Wet the pubic hair and lather the soap on the hair. Blow dry on the pubic area until the soap dries and harden. Leave for at least 8 hours and then wash off with water.
Do this treatment at night time so that the soap can be washed off in the morning. Sleeping with the soap on gives the soap plenty of time to act on the lice and nits. Perform the treatment every day for two weeks till you feel absolutely no presence of lice in the pubic region.
3. Treatment Of Pubic Lice Using Indian Lilac
Indian lilac or Neem is an Indian tree with medicinal properties. It is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial in nature. Hence it is a very effective treatment for getting rid of pubic lice. Take a handful of leaves of Indian lilac and grind them with a little water to form a paste.
Apply the paste on the pubic hair. Let the paste dry. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 30 minutes. You can do this treatment twice a day for a week. This is one of the best remedies for killing the lice and nits.
4. Treatment Of Pubic Lice using Tea Tree Essential Oil
Prepare a solution of tea tree essential oil and water by mixing a tablespoon of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon water. Soak a cotton ball with the solution and apply it on the pubic hair. Allow the solution to dry and then wear your clothes.
Leave the solution on the hair for at least 6 hours and then wash off using lukewarm water. Do this treatment twice a day. Not only will the properties of tea tree essential oil kill the lice but will also provide relief from intense itching caused by the lice.
5. Treatment Of Pubic Lice using Calamine Lotion
Use of calamine lotion for treating pubic lice will take time but calamine lotion will greatly reduce the itching caused by the lice. It is important to get relief from itching because vigorous itching can cause cuts on the skin and give the lice an easy entry into the body. This can lead to further infections. Spread a generous amount of lacto calamine on the pubic hair and allow the lotion to dry completely. Re-application of calamine is recommended every time you feel the need to scratch.
6. Treatment Of Pubic Lice Using Comb
Take a small comb with very fine teeth and brush the pubic hair with the comb. This will effectively remove the lice and nits from the hair. Clean the comb by soaking it in hot water for 15 minutes. This will kill the lice and nits trapped in the comb. Do this treatment at least twice daily.
Tips For Effective Removal Of Pubic Lice:
1. Wash the clothes, especially the underwear, by soaking them in hot scalding water for 20 minutes. Hot water will kill the crabs and their eggs. Don’t forget to wash bed linens, towels, soft toys etc.
2. If one person in the house is infected with crab lice then the entire household should be given the treatment. Crab lice spread easily through contact with an infected person or through infected clothes, bed linen etc.
3. Before beginning any treatment for pubic lice trim the pubic hair. Many lice and eggs will be removed with trimming the hair. Use of depilatory creams for pubic hair removal is recommended. In most cases the lice and nits will be killed by the action of the chemicals present in the cream.
4. There are shampoos and oils available at drug stores that are used to kill hair lice and destroy their eggs. These shampoos and oils can be used to effectively treat and get rid of pubic lice or crabs as well. Your pharmacist will let you know of the products available to get rid of lice completely.