This cheesy casserole is a delicacy of the South but favored by people across the country and even by international culinary aficionados. Grits casserole is ideal for your lazy mornings especially during weekends or holidays. Toss it in the oven and feast your eyes, nose and tongue on the heavenly dish that steps out.
Grits Casserole Recipe
Difficulty Level- Easy
Preparation Time-15 minutes
Cooking Time- 45 minutes
Total Time Taken- 1 hour
Uncooked Grits – 2 cups
Butter or Margarine – half cup
Shredded cheddar cheese – 3 cups
Ground pork sausage – 1 pound
Eggs – 12
Milk – half cup
Water – 6 cups
Pepper – to season
Salt – to season
Parsley sprigs – to garnish
Large Saucepan – 1
10 inch size skillet – 1
Large glass baking dish – 1
Bowl – 1 to whisk eggs and milk together
(1) Take a large saucepan and boil water in it. Transfer two cups of uncooked grits to the water. Bring down the heat, put a lid on and let it simmer for at least 5 minutes. Continue the process until all of the liquid has evaporated.
(2) Next, stir in half the butter and two cups of cheese and wait for all these ingredients to melt.
(3) Take a large skillet and cook sausages until each of them are browned evenly. Ensure any trace of excess oil is eliminated and thereafter combine with the cooked grits.
(4) Whisk milk and eggs together in a bowl. Transfer these contents to the skillet. Let them scramble and finally combine it with the grits.
(5) Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F. Grease a large glass baking dish lightly.
(6) Subsequently pour mixture of grits into the greased large glass baking dish. Use the remaining butter to lightly dab on the mixture. Top the casserole with whatever cheese is remaining. Season appropriately with pepper and salt as per your requirement.
(7) Bake the dish for about 30 minutes in the oven. The end result will be a delicious smelling, light brown colored dish that is certain to bowl you over.
(8) Garnish with a few sprigs of parsley. However, this is completely optional. Wait for ten minutes before serving.
Do not wait to cool your dish down completely. Cold grits casserole is not as appealing as a warm one. 16 servings of this dish contain about 403 calories. The dish is an excellent yet simple brunch meal.
If need be, you can complement it with a thick slice of toast. This dish can be made without butter or with little amount on contrary of what is proposed in the recipe.
The dish tastes as good and qualifies to be relatively lower in calories sans the butter. Baked grits casserole can be refrigerated overnight and all that you need to do is to reheat it just before you serve.
Photo Credit: Marthawhite.com/Recipes/Detail.aspx?recipeID=2711