- Top Tips To Handle Muscles StrainPosted 3 days ago
- Simple and Effective Neck ExercisesPosted 6 days ago
- Top 7 Pre Work Out ExercisesPosted 7 days ago
- 5 Important Effects Of LeukemiaPosted 7 days ago
- 5 Best Cures For Spinal Cord InjuryPosted 7 days ago
- Top 4 Flawless Makeup IdeasPosted 7 days ago
- Giada De Laurentiis RecipesPosted 7 days ago
Mouth-Watering Frito Pies Recipe
Frito pie is a classic South American dish (immensely popular in Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico) that is prepared using chips, cheese and chili. Some people also prefer adding toppings like salsa, jalapenos, rice, beans and mustard to their Frito pies.
Another variation of this classic dish uses taco meat as topping for the pie. The dish is finally complete on addition of grated cheese and sour cream. Addition of sour cream gives a new name to the Frito pie in Midwestern United states; Frito boat. A Frito boat is referred to as a walking taco in Ohio.
Frito Pie Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2hours
Onions chopped – 4
Garlic minced – 2 tablespoons
Tomatoes finely chopped – 3 cups
Beef (diced into very small cubes)– 2 pounds
Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder – 1 tablespoon
Cayenne Pepper – 2 teaspoons
Cumin powder – 2 teaspoons
Dried oregano – 1 ½ teaspoons
Tomato puree – ½ cup
Red Kidney Beans – 2 cups
Beef stock – 2 cups
All-purpose flour – 1 ½ tablespoons
Grated cheese – 2 cups
Frito Chips – 1 bag
Sour Cream – 1/3 cup
Jalapenos – 1 small can
Masa – 1 ½ tablespoons
Method of Preparation of Frito Pie
1. Take a large saucepan and heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in it. Add the four chopped onions in the oil and saute for at least 5 minutes or until the onions begin to lose their pink color.
2. Add salt and cayenne pepper to the browned onions and saute for another minute. To the sauce pan add chili powder, cumin powder, dried oregano and cubed beef pieces. Gently mix all the ingredients in the saucepan. Saute the beef in the saucepan for 5-8 minutes until it becomes brown in color.
3. Once the beef changes its color, add tomatoes, tomato puree, kidney beans, beef stock and garlic in the saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil and then reduce the flame to allow simmering. Do not cover the saucepan. Allow the contents of the saucepan to simmer for an hour at least. Simmer for some more time if the beef is not yet tender.
4. Take masa and the flour and combine the two in a bowl. Take about 3-4 tablespoons of the liquid from the saucepan and add it to the bowl. Combine the three ingredients to get a sauce-like substance. Add this to the simmering saucepan. Cook for another 30 minutes.
5. After almost two hours of slow cooking your beef will become tender and succulent. Check the mixture for salt and other seasonings. Adjust the spices to your liking. Take a medium sized serving bowl and cover its bottom with Frito chips. Use a ladle to pour chili over the chips and into the bowl. Garnish the chili with jalapenos, grated cheese and sour cream. Your Frito pie is ready to be served. Enjoy!
While the contents of the saucepan simmer, you will have to occasionally get rid of the layer of fat that will keep forming on the top. This fat layer is courtesy beef.
Photo Credit: Knifegirl.com/Easy-Frito-Pie.html