Congee is originally a dish of Chinese origin, but it has many variations spread across different Asian countries. Congee is a type of rice porridge, which is primarily made by boiling rice and different types of meats like chicken, or pork.
What can be better than a bowl of hot congee served during the winters or in a rainy day? It can be eaten as a main course meal, but you can also serve it as a side dish. This dish can be easily cooked in a pot, but a rice cooker is suitable for the first timers. So make this simple and easy to make healthy yet tasty food and engage your family members in the palatable taste and rich aroma of this dish.
Servings Per Recipe: 4-5
Preparation Time Required: 1 hour to 1 ½ hour
Cooking Time Required: 1 ½ to 2 hours
1 ½ cup of normal rice
7-8 bowls of water
2 cups of hot water
500 grams of chicken
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 small sized ginger
1 ½ teaspoon of salt
2/3rd tablespoon of soy sauce
1/3rd cup of scallops
½ tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
1 ½ tablespoon of sherry wine or Chinese wine
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 ½ teaspoons of crushed black or white pepper
1 cup of chopped broccoli head
½ cup of chopped green onions
Method for Preparation
1. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, and discard the bones. Take a large mixing bowl and put the chicken pieces into the bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sherry or Chinese wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar and pepper and mix all those things properly with the chicken pieces.
2. Marinade the chicken pieces with the ingredients stated above and keep it in the refrigerator for an hour. The chicken will be tastier, if you allow it to marinate for an hour or longer.
3. Cut the ginger into a 1 inch-sized rhizome and crush it to facilitate the juice to come out. Take 4-5 cloves of garlic and smash them. Now take a large pot and put the water into it. Pour the rice, crushed ginger, smashed garlic cloves and dried scallops into the water and let the mixture boil for an hour.
4. Stir the rice continuously to prevent it from sticking at the base, and it will also facilitate faster cooking and breaking of the rice grains. Now cut the carrots and broccoli head into small pieces and put them into the cooking congee.
5. Take out the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and pour it into the congee. Add the 2 cups of hot water and let the congee simmer for another 20 minutes. Cook the congee until you are satisfied with its consistency, and then put the 2 eggs into the congee.
6. Stir the congee properly to thoroughly mix the eggs and then let it cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add a little bit of salt to add flavor. Once done, take the serving bowls and ladle the congee into the bowls. Decorate the congee with the chopped green onions and serve it hot.
Cook and enjoy this recipe with your family and be sure to share your experiences with me.