The rising concern about heart diseases has prompted many people to be more conscious about their lifestyle.Â Everybody knows that the risk of heart disease is low when you observe a healthy diet.Â An unhealthy diet and irresponsible lifestyle may lead to being prone to several diseases, including heart ailments.
A good diet starts with fruits and vegetables, the friendly food items that should always be present in the family meal.
In order to reduce the risk of heart disease, it is necessary to watch your diet, and your habits.
Below are tips that you can consider, to live a healthy life with a healthy heart:
1. As mentioned, eat fruits and veggies like spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and broccoli, among others. The vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and phytochemicals that your body needs are contained in these fruits and vegetables. These foods will also avoid development of cancer and other chronic diseases.
2. Shift to fiber-rich diet and ensure that you are taking care of your digestive system. Fiber-rich food like wheat breads, oats and rice will stabilize blood sugar levels and will help in controlling cholesterol levels.
3. Avoid eating unhealthy food. These are foods with fats and cholesterol. Resort to herbs and spices instead of salt. Avoid eating junk and fast foods, for they can contain preservatives that may be harmful to your heart, or your body, in general.
4. Include omega 3 fatty acids in your diet. Omega 3 fatty acids are good for the heart. These are available in fish like mackerel, tuna, sardines and salmon.
5. Do not consume too much sugar. Limit sweetening and sweetened foods and drinks; drink more water instead. Drink more than eight glasses of water every day.
6. Be conscious about the food labels. Avoid too much trans fat, for it raises the level of bad cholesterol in your body. These are present in processed foods. So, avoid having processed foods in your meal.Check on the cholesterol and fat content before buying that food!
With a healthy diet and regular exercise, the risk of having a heart disease reduces and you enjoy a longer and healthier life.