Off late, a fast food brand that has captured our imagination is KFC or Kentucky Fried Chicken. Almost everyone who loves the fried chicken is hooked to the delicacies served by this fast food restaurant. The succulent and tender chicken enveloped in a crispy coating seems to be the favourite amongst people of all ages.
One of the most popular types of meat, chicken is loved in almost every part of the world. As a result, fried chicken varieties have been modified to suit the taste buds of people in different parts of the globe. So, whether it is just a fried chicken with a marinade coating or a crispy coating, variations of fried chicken are plenty.
Traditionally, it has been fried and blended with spices or herbs to give it a unique taste and the natural flavours of chicken absorb these to make a succulent dish that pleases the taste buds. But, have you ever thought of creating this wonderful recipe at home? Well, now you have the chance to create just the flavour of KFC right in your kitchen and enjoy some great tasting chicken without having to venture out of your homes.
Chicken – 10 pieces
Vegetable oil or shortening – 5 to 6 cups
Flour – 2 cups
Garlic – 1 tsp
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Paprika – a pinch
Pepper – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
MSG – ¾ tsp
Egg – 1 piece
Milk – 1 cup
Corn flakes – 1 cup
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, baking powder, 1 cup flour, MSG and paprika. Keep it for about 20 minutes. Before marinating the chicken pieces, make sure that there is no fat or skin attached to the meat.
2. In a bowl beat the egg and mix in the milk. Keep the rest of the flour in a plate along with some crushed corn flakes. Take a big fry pan and add the vegetable oil or shortening, whichever is available. Let it heat properly.
3. Now take the marinated chicken pieces dip it in the egg mixture and roll it in the flour and corn flakes mixture. Repeat the step twice over to ensure proper coating of each piece. Slowly lower the coated chicken pieces into the oil and fry till they are crispy brown. Serve with tomato and chilli sauce.
Here are some tips that will help you to emulate the KFC style very easily.
• It is best to soak the chicken in buttermilk or brine, overnight. This will keep the juices intact and make the chicken tender.
• To add great flavour to your fried chicken, you can fry it with peanut oil and add some celery sticks to the oil. The sticks will give a great colour and taste to the meat.
• Tongs are best for turning the chicken while frying. Forks may penetrate the chicken skin and the meat may lose its juices. Hence, use tongs.
• Fried chicken should not be placed on tissue papers. Brown bags are best for absorbing the extra oil and keeping the chicken crispy.