A French baguette is a French bread, which is ideally 5 to 6 centimeters in diameter and 24 inches long. A French baguette is considered to be one of the classic breads of France and can be served with soups, foie gras, or simply with butter or jelly.
Servings Per Recipe: 20-25 slices
Preparation Time Required: 15 hours
Cooking Time Required: 25-30 minutes
Ingredients Required for the French Baguette
2 cups of bread flour
½-1 cup of lukewarm water (take more or less if needed)
1/4th tablespoon of yeast
1 ½ teaspoon of salt
A small amount old dough that has been kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days
½ cup of poolish
Ingredients Required for the Poolish
1/4th cups of flour
1/3rd teaspoon of dried yeast
1/4th cup of cool water
Method for Preparation
1. This recipe must be started by making the poolish at the first, because it requires quite a long time to be ready. For that, take a small bowl and put the yeast in the water. Stir the yeast for about 20- 25 seconds. Then take a big mixing bowl and put the flour in it.
2. Pour the dissolved yeast and the water over the flour and combine to make a thin flour mixture. The flour should not be very tight like dough, and if by any chance it becomes tight, then you will have to add more water, until the mixture become buttery. Once ready, cover the mixing bowl with a plastic or cloth and leave it overnight. In the morning you will notice small bubbles on the surface of the poolish.
3. Once you are ready with the poolish, put it in a dough mixer and put salt, flour and the pieces of old dough over the poolish in the dough mixer. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, until it becomes smooth. Now take out the dough from the dough mixer and put it into a covered rising container for at least 2-4 hours. The dough will double in size after 2-4 hours.
4. Now divide the dough into 7 equal sized small balls. Then roll the balls with your hand to convert them into football shape and let them rest for 10 minutes. Then press all the dough balls at the middle with the edge of your hand, and fold one side of the dough to pull it upwards and fold the other side to push it downwards.
5. This will make your baguette appear more even on the surface. Now close the seams by pressing the top and bottom edges with your finger, and let the dough stand for another 10 minutes.
6. After that, place both your hands on top of the dough and roll it to make it elongated. Let the dough stand for another 10 minutes and then roll the dough to make it as thin as you like. Sprinkle a bit of water over the baguettes and let the dough rest for another 30 to 40 minutes, and preheat your oven to 230 degrees centigrade.
7. Put the baguettes on a baguette tray and slash the surface diagonally. Sprinkle some more water over the baguettes and put the tray in the oven. Bake the baguettes for 20 to 25 minutes. Open the oven and check the progress. Turn the baguettes and bake for another 10 minutes.
8. Cut the baguettes into medium sized slices and enjoy with butter, jam or with soups.